January 17, 2012

Addicted to wood

I read the Altucher Confidential and was just happy that it was about Woody Allen. First of all, I love his movies. I feel like they are all dark. It usually involves love and romanticism but heavily peppered with sarcasm and tragic moments. Which is rather fun for me. Second, I think his movies allow us to see our own realities made into movies.

So I looked up on Woody Allen and found many of his quotes to be something that I can relate to, or would like to relate to. Here are some that I think are worth posting:

No, I don't think you're paranoid. I think you're the opposite of paranoid. I think you walk around with the insane delusion that people like you.

Tradition is the illusion of permanence.

I feel sex is a beautiful thing between two people. Between five, it's fantastic.

What a world. It could be so wonderful if it wasn't for certain people.

The history of the world is like: He kills me, I kill him, only with different cosmetics and different castings. So in 2001, some fanatics killed some Americans, and now some Americans are killing some Iraqis. And in my childhood, some Nazis killed Jews. And now, some Jewish people and some Palestinians are killing each other. Political questions, if you go back thousands of years, are ephemeral, not important. History is the same thing over and over again.

Some guy hit my car fender the other day, and I said unto him, "Be fruitful and multiply." But not in those words.

To love is to suffer. To avoid suffering, one must not love. But, then one suffers from not loving. Therefore, to love is to suffer, not to love is to suffer, to suffer is to suffer. To be happy is to love, to be happy, then, is to suffer, but suffering makes one unhappy, therefore, to be unhappy one must love, or love to suffer, or suffer from too much happiness — I hope you're getting this down.

The chief problem about death, incidentally, is the fear that there may be no afterlife — a depressing thought, particularly for those who have bothered to shave. Also, there is the fear that there is an afterlife but no one will know where it's being held. On the plus side, death is one of the few things that can be done just as easily lying down.

More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.

His movies that I've seen are:

Midnight in Paris

You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger

Vicky Cristina Barcelona
Scoop
Match Point
Melinda and Melinda

The one I've enjoyed the most is Vicky Cristina Barcelona. The background is just lovely and perfectly highlights the struggles of all the characters played by great actors. 

I'm always on the lookout for these kinds of movies. If anyone could recommend me one or two, that would be great. Thanks!




No comments: