August 4, 2011

White sauce

I read somewhere that all of us must have at least one recipe that we know by heart. I have cooked more than a dozen times in our kitchen back in my childhood, though, most, I must say, were failures, this has not stopped me from dreaming of that one recipe which I could tweak and master and share to other people.


I give credit to Ate Sweeky for exposing me to this recipe and also to Shareefah for telling me I can do whatever I want. To this effect, I share you the secret to a perfect white sauce, Caye style. ;-)


2 broth cubes, any flavor will do
1 box of cream
1 big can of evaporated milk
2 tbsps flour
2 tbsps butter


Melt butter in a frying pan on low heat. While it's melting, dissolve the cubes on 3/4 cup of hot water and mix in the flour. Once it's all mixed (see that it has become a light yellowgreenish paste), pour the mixture on the melted butter. Stir as to prevent it from sticking. Slowly mix in the cream and evaporated milk. Stir frequently for 8 minutes or until it has boiled twice and remove from heat.


Use this sauce to mix with your pasta to make a spaghetti carbonara or top this on fish fillets with potatoes for a unique dish. Enjoy! :-)

No comments: